Do you know a rising 6th-9th grader who loves language arts? Science? History?
Camp LingoCats is an exciting adventure into the study of language. We will be learning new alphabets, exploring the history of old words, talking about the importance of language in our families and communities, performing experiments, playing games, making t-shirts, going on scavenger hunts, and much more. Come join the University of Kentucky Linguistics Program for a thrilling week of language study!
- Who? Any rising 6th-9th grade students are welcome to register
- When? Monday, June 6-Friday, June 10; 9 AM-3 PM
- Where? University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY
- Cost? $75 per camper
Contact Dr. Jennifer Cramer: Jennifer.email@example.com if you have questions about registration.
The safety of each camper is important to us; please be sure to fill out the health and allergy information for your camper(s).
Linguistics, in a few words, is the scientific study of language.
Just like chemists study chemistry through experimentation and the scientific method, linguists study language through experimentation and the scientific method. Does that mean all linguists speak like a billion languages fluently? Of course not! But many linguists know some things about a lot of languages, and they apply their knowledge of how languages work in general to pretty much any language data they can find.
Language is a big thing to study, so there are many different types of linguists who study many different types of linguistics. First off, a linguist might study one of the core areas of linguistics:
- Phonetics/phonology (how sounds are made and put together): As in, what might make someone’s accent sound different from yours?
- Morphology (how words are put together): How do young children know how to make a word plural, even if they’ve never used the word before?
- Syntax (how words are put together in order): Why does Yoda on Star Wars sound funny when he makes up sentences?
- Semantics (the meaning of words): How do meanings change over time? Why do they change?
Linguists might also apply their knowledge to some of these fields:
- Historical linguistics: reconstructing ancient languages
- Sociolinguistics: How language functions and changes in society
- Psycholinguistics: How our brains process language
- Forensic linguistics: analyzing language data for criminal investigations
- And many more!
If you’re ready to learn more and dig deeper into the exciting world of linguistics, join us for Camp LingoCats!
The following is a rough outline of what we’ll be doing each day (subject to change):
- 9-9:15 Check-In
- 9:15-9:45 Introduction to daily topic
- 9:45-10:30 Outdoor games I
- 10:30-10:45 Snack break (*Snacks provided)
- 10:45-11:45 Crafts, tools, and technologies
- 11:45-12:15 Team Time
- 12:15-12:45 Lunch (*Bring from home!)
- 12:45-1:45 Language Laboratory
- 1:45-2:15 Outdoor games II
- 2:15-2:30 Afternoon snack break (*Snacks provided)
- 2:30-3:00 Recap/Check-out
Still have questions? For more information about Camp LingoCats, please contact camp organizers at either of the following email addresses:
For those of you who’ve already registered for Camp LingoCats, below you’ll find some practical information regarding what to expect and how to prepare for camp:
When you arrive: Parents/guardians will be asked to complete the "Informed Consent, Voluntary Waiver, Release of Liability and Assumption of Risk Form".
Parents and guardians will also be asked to sign a form telling us who can and cannot pick up your children to ensure that each student comes and goes from camp safely.
- Materials: All camp materials (notebooks, writing utensils, t-shirts…) are provided and included in the cost of registration.
- Snacks are provided: Based on the information you provide us, we will take care to ensure that we avoid all food allergies to the best of our ability with the snacks we distribute.
- Pack a lunch! Lunch will not be provided.
- We will be outside: Please have your camper put on sunscreen and insect repellant before camp as needed.
- Come with a good attitude, ready to learn, and ready to have fun!