Scholarly Fellowship Leave

Scholarly Fellowship Leave

Faculty may apply for scholarly fellowship leave when awarded a stipend from an external agency, and the award is paid directly to the faculty member and not processed through the university.  If the award is insufficient to replace a faculty member's regular salary, then the college will endeavor to "top-up" the award by providing up to one-third of the faculty member's regular salary for the period of the leave.  While on scholarly fellowship leave, faculty are entitled to retain their employee health insurance credit (with the employee contribution to be taken from the college's "top-up" contribution), and retirement benefits for the leave period may be calculated on the "top-up" contribution.  Successful fellowship applicants should contact the university's employee benefits office for further assistance.  For probationary faculty, time spent on scholarly fellowship leave is considered probationary period service unless otherwhise mutually determined.  Likewise, the time on scholarly fellowship leave is considered service toward one's eligibility for sabbatical leave.

Applications for scholarly fellowship leave should be submitted to the department chair as early as possible so that departments will be able to make scheduling adjustments.  After approval by the chair, requests are to be submitted to the dean's office for approval and must include the following information:

  • A complete copy of the fellowship proposal and a copy of the award letter from the organization or agency providing the fellowship.
  • A current CV.
  • A memo from the chair indicating approval, and detailing a plan for how the undergraduate and graduate instructional needs of the department-including supervision of the faculty member's graduate advisees' research projects, theses, and dissertations-will be met while the faculty member is on scholarly leave.  The chair must be specific with course numbers, course titles, enrollments, and the names of faculty who will provide course coverage and/or research supervision.  When more than one faculty member from the department is applying for a sabbatical award or scholarly leave, the chair needs to describe the total impact on the department and its instructional needs.


Enter your linkblue username.
Enter your linkblue password.
Secure Login

This login is SSL protected