Ph.D. Linguistics University of Surrey
MA Russian Language & Literature, School of Slavonic and East European Studies, University of London
My pre-linguistic life revolved around Russian literature, and my MA thesis (University of London) was on Nabokov's Ada. It was during this time that I disovered computing through the Prolog language. I then went to the University of Surrey to take up a research position working with Grev Corbett on a project on the computational description of Russian morphology, leading to an interest in morphology more generally, and (of course) typology. While at Surrey I took a faculty position in the Department of Computing where I researched and taught computational linguistics and language engineering. In 2007 I arrived at UK to join the university's Linguistics Program.
Areas of specialty:
My main area of research is in morphology, including its interface with syntax and phonology, using the following methods:
- computational modelling of the lexicon and its interface with syntax
- using default reasoning as a way of capturing regularity, semi-regularity and exceptionality
- using frequency analysis as a way of modeling language use
- incorporating diachronic data into synchronic models
Linguistic phenomena that I have covered using these approaches are:
- grammatical number
- inflectional morphology
- basic color terms of the Slavonic languages
Current / recent courses:
- Analysis of English Syntax (LIN/ENG 512)
- Grammatical Typology (LIN/ANT 516)
- Historical Linguistics (LIN/ANT 519)
- Introduction to Linguistics (LIN/ENG 211)
- Introduction to Computational Linguistics (LIN 511)
- Research methods (LIN 601)
- Linguistic Theory and Typology Seminar (LIN 701)
- Advanced Syntax (constraint-based) (LIN 612)
- (with Matthew Baerman, Greville G. Corbett Dunstan Brown, eds). Deponency and morphological mismatches. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007.
- (with Dunstan Brown). Network Morphology: a defaults based theory of word structure. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012.
- (with Greg Stump) Cambridge Handbook of Morphology. Cambridge University Press. 2016.
- (with Nikolas Gisborne). Defaults in Morphological Theory. Oxford University Press. 2017.
- (with Matthew Baerman, Greville Corbett Dunstan Brown). The Surrey Deponency Database. 2006. Available at http://www.smg.surrey.ac.uk/Deponency/Deponency_home.htm
- (with Marina Chumakina, Greville Corbett Dunstan Brown). The Surrey Suppletion Database. 2004. Available at http://www.smg.surrey.ac.uk/Suppletion/index.aspx
- The Slavonic Colour Lexicon: digital recordings of Upper Sorbian and Lower Sorbian colour elicitation tasks. 2000. Hosted by the Max Plank Institute, available at http://corpus1.mpi.nl/ds/imdi_browser/?openpath=MPI318941%23
- Frequency and morphological analysis of the nouns in the 1 million-word Russian Uppsala Corpus. 1999. Available at http://www.surrey.ac.uk/LIS/SMG/rusnoms.xls